Fire Alarm Signal Xmission

I have a commercial customer for whom we installed a fire alarm system.
 System uses a DACT to xmit to a recieving station (system is not UL
listed).  When we installed it was connected to 2 POTS lines.  A while
back, they switched to TDS and are using there Xdata system (basically
a T-1 with 1/2 dedicated to data and 1/2 dedicatd to 7 voice lines).
They have the system on the standard 48vdv UPS system.

I have looked over NFPA and I'm not sure this arrangement is kopesetic.
 Does this arrangenet qualify as  "PBX"?  Does it fall under the "other
technologies" criteria?  System must be capable of operating 24/5 with
AC power loss, battaries changed within 5 years of manufacture for the
fire system, but all that means squat if that UPS for the phone system
isn't maintained.  Who is responsible for that?

Forgive me, if this is an easy question.  I am from the Chicago land
area and we still use RP (reverse polarity, for the youngsters around
here) for the majority of our systems.  Why live in the 21st cent when
you can live happily in the early part of the 20th).

thks,
Bill