Re: Wireless Motion Sensor slow to start

KSG wrote:
> I have a wireless motion sensor and I have tried setting on my alarm
> and then starting in the back of the room to see how far I can get.  I
> notice that if I do this test immediately after the alarm system delay
> is finished the motion sensor doesn't go off, even if I jump in front
> of the sensor.  But if I wait a few minutes, then it does catch me.
>
> Is there some additional delay before the motion sensor starts?  Is
> this to preserve battery life that it only checks to see if the alarm
> is set every five minutes or something?
>
> Thanks!
>
> KSG

There's usually a three minute "reset" incorporated into the PIR's
transmitter.  This basically "saves" the battery.  If the unit were to
transmit continuously, you'd be changing batteries in it on a weekly
basis.  After the three minutes expires, the sensor is "armed" to
receive IR energy and transmit an alarm instantly.  When that happens it
goes "dormant" for another three minutes and the whole process starts over.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com