Re: Wiring

> Boy, I hope they're not the contacts that this
> fellow has.

I doubt that's what he has.

> By the way, none of us has mentioned that if the loop
> in question has an end of line resistor at the last
> contact in the loop, then touching the wires together
> in any combination isn't going to give a ready light
> at the keypad.

Agreed, but it's an old, residential system.  Knowing how few
installers even used EOLs on commercial installations, let along
residential jobs, I doubt he'll find EOLs anywhere except in the
panel box.

> And, if it's any comfort to the fellow who pulled out
> the contact and the wires didn't come out with it, I
> think we've all done that at least once.  It's not your
> fault, the installer didn't leave enough slack for you.
> Welcome to the club.

Yep.  It's one of the reasons I constantly teach DIYers to leave
a service loop of extra cable for every switch, motion, glass
break or keypad.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass