Re: Rough pricing question

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:14:46 +0000, Joe Bramblett
<kd5nrh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Obviously there would be a big red button on the frame, preferably with
>some sort of squealer to discourage its misuse, to let anyone out without
>a card.

Please read NFPA 101 regarding restricting egress.  A "big red button"
and a "squealer" does not meet life safety code.  Think of the
liability involved if you restict egress during an emergency and
someone gets hurt or killed.  There is a very specific way that you
can provide a entry/exit reader on an agress door.  If you are going
to be designing these systems, it's something you ought to brush up
on.

>> 4) Fire alarm interface? Who pays? Customer or dealer?
>
>Would it even be necessary with an exit button available?

Yeah, it's absolutely required.  If you plan on restricting agress,
you must connect to the building fire alarm system so that an alarm
shunts power at the locking device.  I don't want to sound insulting,
but designs like this are best left to someone with the proper
training regarding applicable codes and industry best practices.  I
know you're just looking for a check price, but with the growth in the
access control industry over the past several years, it seems that
there are a lot of people who are putting this stuff in without really
knowing what they're doing.  I guess anybody with a checkbook and
ADI's phone number can lock somebody in a burning building.