Re: Rough pricing question

It would be impossible for me to give you any estimate based on the
information you have given. More information is needed just to wag it.
Here are some of the missing items:
1) What AHJ has the regualtions (if any) on the work you wish to be
performed? Is this job going to require submittals and O&M manuals? What is
the existing door harware. Who pays to replace it if necessary. You idea of
a single technology REX has the potential to get someone hurt or killed.
2) The first door is read in and read out?  There should be more to that
door bid, like at least an intercom to allow people to get let in when they
forget to read out; especially if there are other doors that are REX only?
Why have read in and read out? Is not even legal in most places to have that
as a sole means of egress.
3) What front end? Who supplies the computer? Is this an add on upgrade or
new system? A maximum of 16 doors doesn't mean much. 16 doors of NStar
versus 16 doors of Keyscan, versus 16 doors of Software House represents a
huge difference in price just on brand and features.
4) Fire alarm interface? Who pays? Customer or dealer?
5) Interface to visitor management and CCTV?
6) Pole maounted gear out of doors. Who saws the lot and pipes it? Or is it
RF? What kind of building mounts?
7) To calculate storage for 21 days is not possible unless you also know the
CIF and frame rate and idle times etc.
8) Motion sensing? If you don't have record on motion you will have lots of
fun reviewing video. No smart search? No analytics? Buy lots of Coke and
popcorn.
9) No one does VHS and dumps to printer on today's new systems. Why would
you?
10) Will this system have a badge printer?

Round numbers?
$2500.00 per regular door of access.
$5500 for DVR
$2800 per PTZ
$A bunch for Labor

Sounds like you're client may be going for the lowest bid which will equal
lowest satisfaction, lowest performance and lowest quality. Most companies
will negotiate a fixed price for well defined work. I don't think our
company would bid this if asked. There is too much work in bid prep and we
are too busy to waste time on maybe work when there is for certain work that
is waiting to be done. I bet that may be the case where you are as well. If
the bids come in with brand names like Geovision, Video-Insight, Everfocus,
General Solutions, Clover, Speco, NStar, and DoorKing  just to name a few
then you know the bid you have is near rock bottom because that gear is
priced in the mud.
If you have gear like American Dynamics, Bosch, Integral Technologies,
I3DVR, AMAG, Johnson Controls, Lenel, and Software House to name a few more
then you have found the mid range and higher.