Re: Rough pricing question

> As far as we can tell, the city hasn't really put much thought into
> anything that doesn't call them, and the county just flat doesn't care.

That said it still won't be an excuse not to do things correctly, it just
means no inspection or engineering time accociated with that event.

> Nonexistent once the current provider is ditched.  Think little holes
> where equipment should be and wires yanked out of the walls.

It sounds like you have (or had) magnetic locks. From what you describe it
would be better to have your maintenance guys install a delayed egress rim
alarmed panic exit device. A red button won't come close to doing the job
right. You might have a city inspection department that doesn't care about
electronic access control but, believe it or not, might get excited about
door hardware. If you can install a rim panic device then a lock like this
http://www.hesinnovations.com/hes2/9600.cfm  might work with it. Without
seeing the doors it is not possible to know what you need to secure the
doors properly.

>Not to sound like a broken record, but what's cheapest?  If you charge
>more for the outside cable runs than facilities maintenance can do them
>for, then they'll do them.  All the building mounts are currently U-bolted
>to the supports on the corrugated metal.

It sounds like you have answered your own question. Was it "cheaper" to have
to rip the gear out you have and start over? Mounts & Mounting Brackets
http://www.boschsecurity.us/index.aspx?prdctgroupid=73 look at them.
Understand how the right mount can improve what you're able to see.

> Effectively new system, since everything is currently leased from a
> vendor they want to ditch, and all we need is; if a valid card is
> presented, open the door and log who/when, if a button is pushed, open the
> door and maybe log when. Something that can display in realtime what card
> is being used where and match it to a name would be preferred.  Who
> provides the computer depends on whether it costs more to have one
> provided than for us to provide it, though interfacing with the existing
> network (to allow HR or a supervisor to look at the records directly)
> would be greatly preferred.

This is decent stuff priced at the lower (no LOWEST) end.
Continental Instruments
http://www.cicaccess.com/testframe.html?main.asp
http://www.cicaccess.com/testframe.html?main.asp
Keyscan
http://www.keyscan.ca/English/PDFs/Products_CA8000.pdf
http://www.keyscan.ca/English/PDFs/Products_SystemV_Basic.pdf

> Obviously that would depend on the use of each camera; the two sweeping
> the parking lots would need a higher frame rate and resolution than the
> two sets of face and gate cams.  Figure our current settings are "crappy"
> and "doesn't matter much since it's out of focus anyway."

If you are not satisfied with your current camera setup there are many
reasons to be. You mentioned night views. It might be poor lighting or no
back focus prior to set up (or the need for an IR cut filter for those
installers that don't know how or what back focus is).
For a DVR try looking at these:
Bosch DiBos version 8:
http://www.boschsecurity.us/index.aspx?prdctid=3689
American Dynamics Intellex Ultra:
http://www.americandynamics.net/products/intellex_DVMS.aspx
Integral Technologies DVXi:
http://www.integraltechnologies.com/Products/Video/ViewProduct.aspx?pid=92

It would be helpful to know what you want features wise, and what features
you want to actually purchase for before shouting HOW MUCH?