Re: question about VOIP and liability

"Jim Rojas" <jrojas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qFFHg.8888$Tg1.1744@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I understand what you are saying. But even with POTS line, there is a huge
> security issue. This is why alarm companies have $250 limited liability
> clauses in their contracts.

Which is useless when there is proof of negligence. Believe me when I say
this since I have been involved as an expert witness, in Florida, Texas, and
Arizonia and seen the court system in action.

> Whether the transmission is by POTS, Radio, Cellular, NetworkIP, etc., the
> customer is ultimately responsible to make sure the method of transmission
> is working at ALL TIMES. Even POTS can be unreliable, depending how far
away
> you live from the nearest telco switch station.

I agree with you whole heartedly and there may be an assumed level of
reliability on using the POTS lines but there is to much floating around the
industry about the unreliability of VOIP and we still are will to connect to
it. Now what is the exposure to both the user and the company? That is why I
asked about direct communications with the insurers and what their feeling
are. They don't care about the technical pitfalls, they only care about
their exposure and that is where we get in trouble. It is alot easier to
decline when the insurance company won't insure it rather than trying to kid
ourselves that a waiver is somehow going to make everything ok.