Re: Installers Wanted

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:05:16 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:31:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Michelle" <mst0004_remove_@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>>There is an idea.  I really can't.  Just guys who are totally unqualified
>>>wanting to be the boss for more money than I make.  Heck, I almost hired a
>>>kid today with absolutely no experience or education in the field until I
>>>pulled his background report.
>>>
>>>I cancelled my ad on Monster.com this morning.  Got tired of lazy treasure
>>>hunters sending me resumes.
>>

>> What are you offering?  You're not one of those Jim R. speaks of that
>> wants installers to use their own trucks,
>
>No I have several nice service trucks, but in construction its a common
>practice to pay a vehicle allowance instead of providing a truck.  This
>allows those guys who otherwise could not be employable due to DUIs and
>excessive tickets to work.

I thought you didn't hire drunks.

>> pay their own health
>> insurance,
>
>Health insurance is always paid by the employee one way or another.  If they
>don't make enough money to cover it they don't work long.  My payroll agency
>has a managed healthcare program available to anybody after they have been
>working with us for three months.

Health insurance costs are usually subsidized by the employer, mine
for example pays 75% of the cost.  There is no way I could afford
buying it outright.

>> have no retirement plan,
>
>401K Is also available through our agency.

That's good.  Do you have matching funds?

>We also offer paid vacation after the first year.

That's good too, at least 2 weeks I assume?

>> work for a barely livable wage,
>
>Above average for the area.

That's not saying much if it's in .. "a market where the largest
employers are retail and farm work".   How does your offering compare
to other alarm companies in the area?  Why don't you post it here?

>> and be available 27/7 at your beck-and-call are you?
>
>No, but I expect all qualified techs to be on call atleast in rotation.

That's fair.

> I have been on call 24/7 for 13 years.

Irrelevant.

> Expecting to be in this industry and
>bnever be on call is just stupid.

No, it's not.  I would expect to be informed up front if I was
required to be in the on-call rotation, and be compensated for
carrying the phone.

>I would also expect them to use accuarte
>terms in describing something even if in sarcasm.

I wasn't using sarcasm.  Actually I wasn't referring to on-call, I was
referring to those types that demand weekend work and long hours
without so much as asking if I had plans.  Maybe you've seen the kind,
I have.

>>  It works both
>> ways - someone already said it, you get what you pay for.
>
>No you don't.  I have been doing this for a long time.  I had one guy quit
>for a cut in pay because he thought there was more stability in a government
>job.  The guy IS on call 24/7 now and works late 3-5 days a week.  Oops.  He
>still does some part time work for me on a piece work basis and when he does
>he makes way more than he does at his government job.  Hell, his part time
>work for me made the down payment on his new house.

What I meant by "you get what you pay for" is:  a knowledgeable tech
that will work hard and be reliable don't come cheap.  I believe you
refer to them as "treasure hunters".

>> What are
>> you offering????
>
>What are you offering?

I'm not the one looking for help or work.  If I was, I'd offer you an
honest days work for an honest days pay.  Of course, I want all the
aforementioned benefits too.  ;-)

>I am offering hard work for a reasonable paycheck.  I am offering
>responsibility in exchange for reliability.

Responsibility?  For what?  All the technician wants is to live
comfortably and have minimum responsibility.  If I wanted to have your
headaches I'd start my own company in exchange for more financial
gain.  When I clock out your business is the last thing on my mind.

>I will not hire DRUNKS, DRUG ADDICTS, OR FELONS.  Why these guys even apply
>to an add that clearly says MVR report required, drug screens mandatory, and
>Background Checks done I have no idea.

In Texas that's the law.

>In a market where the largest employers are retail and farm work and the
>farm work pays better than retail I pay well above market for entry level
>and very well for somebody who can do the job.  Oh yeah, and both of those
>large employment bases are very strongly subject to seasonal layoffs.  I
>have had more work than I can handle year around for many years.

Good.

>So much thanks for your ever so helpful reply.

You're welcome.  I can see my response pressed a couple of buttons
with you, that was not my intention.  It's just that I've seen too
many mom & pop operations that want the world from their employees and
aren't willing to pay for it.   That's why I was (and still am) asking
what your offer was (is).  If you have a great deal for a good tech.
perhaps someone will read your ad and be willing to relocate.

Take Care,

-Graham