Re: Installers Wanted

"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >No I have several nice service trucks, but in construction its a common
> >practice to pay a vehicle allowance instead of providing a truck.  This
> >allows those guys who otherwise could not be employable due to DUIs and
> >excessive tickets to work.
>
> I thought you didn't hire drunks.

Never said I did, just pointing out that your view on the world isn't the
only one or even the best one.  I know most big general contractors pay
their supervisors a more than fair truck allowance instead of providing them
with a truck.  The only thing they throw int hat might stick in some craws
is they usually require it to be less than X number of years old to maintain
good appearances.

> >> pay their own health
> >> insurance,
> >
> >Health insurance is always paid by the employee one way or another.  If
they
> >don't make enough money to cover it they don't work long.  My payroll
agency
> >has a managed healthcare program available to anybody after they have
been
> >working with us for three months.
>
> Health insurance costs are usually subsidized by the employer, mine
> for example pays 75% of the cost.  There is no way I could afford
> buying it outright.

Where do you think that money comes from?  If you think that you aren't
producing it through your own work then you are very confused about
business.  If your specific work is not generating the revenue to pay 100%
of your health insurance no matter whose name is on the checks then you
don't understand how business works.

> >> have no retirement plan,
> >
> >401K Is also available through our agency.
>
> That's good.  Do you have matching funds?
>

> >We also offer paid vacation after the first year.
>
> That's good too, at least 2 weeks I assume?

Depends.  If the tech was experience when they started maybe.  If they
started with no knowledge and no skills and are just becoming a tech after a
year doubtful.  But then I suppose you think you get what you pay for only
applies to the employer.  It goes both ways.

> >> work for a barely livable wage,
> >
> >Above average for the area.
>
> That's not saying much if it's in .. "a market where the largest
> employers are retail and farm work".   How does your offering compare
> to other alarm companies in the area?  Why don't you post it here?

I have had guys from other alarm companies apply and tell me what they are
making.  Its comparable to some and better than others.

> >> and be available 27/7 at your beck-and-call are you?
> >
> >No, but I expect all qualified techs to be on call atleast in rotation.
>
> That's fair.

Hey, we agree on something.

> > I have been on call 24/7 for 13 years.
>
> Irrelevant.

No its not.  It may not mean squat to you or anybody else looking for a job,
but it is very important to me, and how an employee responds to being on
call is certainly part of the hiring process.  You may not care, but it is
definitely relevant.

> > Expecting to be in this industry and
> >never be on call is just stupid.
>
> No, it's not.  I would expect to be informed up front if I was
> required to be in the on-call rotation, and be compensated for
> carrying the phone.

You disagree and then agree.  I think we may just have a management vs labor
viewpoint on this one.  Sounds like you do agree with my statement.

> >I would also expect them to use accuarte
> >terms in describing something even if in sarcasm.
>
> I wasn't using sarcasm.  Actually I wasn't referring to on-call, I was
> referring to those types that demand weekend work and long hours
> without so much as asking if I had plans.  Maybe you've seen the kind,
> I have.

Yep, I have worked for them.

> >>  It works both
> >> ways - someone already said it, you get what you pay for.
> >
> >No you don't.  I have been doing this for a long time.  I had one guy
quit
> >for a cut in pay because he thought there was more stability in a
government
> >job.  The guy IS on call 24/7 now and works late 3-5 days a week.  Oops.
He
> >still does some part time work for me on a piece work basis and when he
does
> >he makes way more than he does at his government job.  Hell, his part
time
> >work for me made the down payment on his new house.
>
> What I meant by "you get what you pay for" is:  a knowledgeable tech
> that will work hard and be reliable don't come cheap.  I believe you
> refer to them as "treasure hunters".

No, A knowledgable tech will earn whatever they are getting and a little
more to cover the service truck he drives, the insuracne for the company and
whatever other overhead is needed, and small profit for the owner or stock
holders.  He should get paid well, but that is not what I called a treasure
hunter and you know it.  A treasure hunter is the guy who sends a resume to
a tech position that is clearly underqualied, asks for a management
position, and wants more moeny than the owner of the business makes.
Perhaps treasure hunter was to polite a term.  Deluded and semi-literate to
read is probably more accurate.

> >> What are
> >> you offering????
> >
> >What are you offering?
>
> I'm not the one looking for help or work.  If I was, I'd offer you an
> honest days work for an honest days pay.  Of course, I want all the
> aforementioned benefits too.  ;-)

And you would get them if you earned them.

> >I am offering hard work for a reasonable paycheck.  I am offering
> >responsibility in exchange for reliability.
>
> Responsibility?  For what?  All the technician wants is to live
> comfortably and have minimum responsibility.  If I wanted to have your
> headaches I'd start my own company in exchange for more financial
> gain.  When I clock out your business is the last thing on my mind.
>
> >I will not hire DRUNKS, DRUG ADDICTS, OR FELONS.  Why these guys even
apply
> >to an add that clearly says MVR report required, drug screens mandatory,
and
> >Background Checks done I have no idea.
>
> In Texas that's the law.

I wish it was the law here.  Better yet I wish it was a crime to apply for a
job that they know can't hire them for either liability or legal reasons
with those backgrounds.

> >In a market where the largest employers are retail and farm work and the
> >farm work pays better than retail I pay well above market for entry level
> >and very well for somebody who can do the job.  Oh yeah, and both of
those
> >large employment bases are very strongly subject to seasonal layoffs.  I
> >have had more work than I can handle year around for many years.
>
> Good.

> >So much thanks for your ever so helpful reply.
>
> You're welcome.  I can see my response pressed a couple of buttons
> with you, that was not my intention.  It's just that I've seen too
> many mom & pop operations that want the world from their employees and
> aren't willing to pay for it.   That's why I was (and still am) asking
> what your offer was (is).  If you have a great deal for a good tech.
> perhaps someone will read your ad and be willing to relocate.

After all the headaches I have seen on this newsgroup I would never post an
offer here, but anybody who was serious could have checked my Monster.com
listing before I pulled it.

(This part is editorial.)
Personally I think you come off as the guy who walks in the door saying I
KNOW how to do all this stuff, and I KNOW what I am worth, and I WON'T even
start so I can show you unless YOU PROMISE me top of the world benis and
pay.  And I'm the guy who has heard it all before.  Seriously.  Show me.  If
you can't show me I can show you... the door.  Been burned one too many
times.  You have to remember I have been doing this for over 13 years, and I
have hired and fired a tech or two.

> Take Care,

Same

--