Re: Question on Which Brand to Buy

On 11 Apr 2006 12:17:21 -0700, "Lance" <ljahnke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello group. I am building a new townhouse and pre-wiring for an alarm
> system comes with the package. I am new to all this so I am asking for
> guidance on type and brand. Here are my thoughts:
>
> I will have 2800 square feet (finished basement with egress windows,
> main level with two entry doors (front and rear) and an upstairs with
> three bedrooms). I am mostly concerned with intrusion detection and not
> fire. I am thinking door, window and motion detection for basement and
> main level would be adequate (nothing upstairs). A keypad and some type
> of remote keypad/buzzer in the master bedroom. I would like a system
> that is capable of connecting to my home network and Internet and be
> capable of emailing my blackberry for all events (arm, disarm, alarm).
> I don't want my system monitored and not really sure I want a big
> bell on the outside of the house but I do want to be awaken in the
> middle of the night should an alarm get tripped. Being able to add
> video in the future would be nice as well.
>
> I believe in buying quality especially for something like an alarm
> system and the ability to do upgrades is important as well. I am
> somewhat familiar with ADEMCO, APEX and OMNI. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on any of this or care to share a personal experience with
> alarm systems pitfalls? Thanks in advance.

Ademco panels are good but won't handle your Internet requirements.  Apex does
some home automation but really won't fill the bill either.  The Omni Pro system
can do pretty much all you ask.  The ELK M1G Gold system might be a better
choice than all of the above though.

FWIW, I don't have any cause for bias in this regard since I sell all of these
brands direct to the public.  IMO the ELK Product is superior to the Omni series
as a control unit and significantly more configurable than Apex.  Ademco's Vista
series panels really don't do much with Internet connectivity though they're
relatively inexpensive compared to the others in this group.  On the plus side,
Ademco is easy to program by keypad.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.