Re: From Alarm to centeral station

Alarm reporting times very but generally Contact ID and SIA are very fast,
around 5 seconds reporting time.  3X1 and 4X2 pulse formats are slower,
usually around 12-18 seconds.

90 - 120 seconds for a pulse format seems too long.  I would put my butt set
on the line and listen in to see what is taking so long.

The receiver should answer the call in the first 3 rings.  A handshake
should be sent to the panel as soon as the receiver answers.  This is where
you might be having a problem.  Today's newer receivers monitor a wide range
of formats.  They may have to send a series of handshakes until your panel
hears one it likes.

After your panel hears the handshake it should send its data in a few
seconds.  The receiver will then send a kissoff and the communication is
done.

If you hear a long series of handshakes this may only occur on the first
transmission.  We have a Surgard System III receiver, it will send a series
of handshakes that may take a while on the first transmission.  However,
when the panel responds, the receiver remembers the handshake the panel
liked and answers with that handshake the next time that panel calls.  This
is accomplished with ANI (automatic number identification) similar to caller
ID.

In any case, you need to find where the problem is.  If your central station
does not have a receiver like the System III that can remember the handshake
you may need to have them change the handshake order.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance in resolving this issue,
I will do anything I can to help you.

Ron Wies
Monitoring America Alarm Co-Op