Re: DSC Power 832 Puzzle (Long)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:18:07 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
<newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>petem wrote:
>> "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit ...
>>>
>>> Since I have been running this system for about 2 years with such a
>>> large draw, is there any chance that the power supply on the main
>>> board could have suffered permanent damage?  Right now everything seems
>>> OK when I power the system up.
>>
>> Yes and no..
>>
>> we had a few case like yours here where a home owner would call his
>> friend to had some device on there system and exceeded the max power
>> output of the panel..it lasted for 2+ years till the battery started
>> to pull more power to keep at the good voltage..
>>
>> if you power the panel with only a keypad (to create a load on the
>> power supply) and the battery and you can measure what is the power
>> going to the combus with a voltmeter,test for a 13.8 volt..or around
>> it..  then remove the battery and check if its about the same voltage...
>>
>> anything below 13 volt mean you could have a problem..
>
>Good idea.  I will try this test.
>
>> remember this at the combus or auxiliary power output (black and red)
>> not at the battery cause the panel usually check the battery by
>> lowering the voltage to it from time to time and this could lead you
>> to a bad conclusion...
>
>I hope the test indicates no permanent damage to the main board.  My wife is
>getting a little bored with my alarm hardware purchases at this stage of the
>game.  This morning I ordered a 5204, a transformer, 2 _new_ batteries, and
>metal box for some of this gear, etc.  I am going to run this way assuming
>that the power supply on the main board will be sufficiently OK once the
>5204 is supplying power.
>
>> by the way..where did you got your stuff from? an online web site or your
>> friend?
>
>Part of the gear was supplied by the builder's subcontractor, part by my
>alarm pro friend's local supplier, and part via online purchases.  All the
>gear is DSC, and all of the accessories (batteries, transformers, boxes,
>etc.) are identical to the originals supplied by the builder.  BTW, why did
>you ask (just curious)?

Well your first reaction (power system down, then power up) was a
first good step. This often gets rid of the 'panel hardware issues'
and glitches with programming, like you had with the HA. If the system
powers up and operates fine (remove your power devices except one KP
to test) then you can start looking at other possible causes.

You definately need more 12V power. All too often as a technician I
had to install systems with inadequate power. Only after problems
developed would I go back and install an aux power supply, but when
you're a lowly technician you never know more than a professional
alarm salesman, but I digress. Since you've added to your system,
you've changed the power requirements from the original installation.
Your decision to order and install a power supply is a good one.

If the problem continues, I'd seriously look at the motion detector.
When motion problems occur, I first think about what type of detector
is installed. You've got 40 lb pet immune and a regular detector.
Which one falsed? If it's the Aurora, replace it; if it's under
warranty great, if not it's a small cost for a reliable alarm system.

If the 998 is the culprit, it has a 6 year warranty. So consider
replacing it if all else is fine.

A couple of weeks ago I spent 1.5 hours troubleshooting a 7 year old
PC5010 installation only to finally discover that the PC5018 board had
two bad zone input terminals. Fun stuff this alarm system
troubleshooting is....

Julian