Re: DSC Power 832 Puzzle (Long)

alarman wrote:
> "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
>>
>> Setup:  Power 832 5010, 2 LCD5500 Keypads, 5208 PGM board, Escort
>> 5580 board, 5108 zone board, 5132 wireless board.  All window and
>> door sensors hard-wired, 4 PIRs hard wired, 2 key fobs (in cars) on
>> the wireless board.
>
> You have grossly exceeded the capability of your power supply. Before
> you do anything else, read the installation manual pp 7-8 regarding
> current ratings of the modules and accessories. You will need an
> auxiliary power supply like a PC5204.

Bob, Stan, and alarman have probably nailed down the major issue with my
system: not enough power.  I get different answers on the power draw
depending upon which set of _DSC-supplied_ data I employ, but basically it
looks like this:

2 LCD 5500Z keyboards     170 ma

PC 5108 zone expander         35 ma

PC 5132 wireless board        130 ma

Escort 5580TC                     150 ma

PC 5208 PGM board             20 ma

2 Ademco Aurora PIR              8 ma

2 Ademco 998 PIR                 30 ma

Total draw (approx)               543 ma

Since the Power 832 is rated to supply 550 ma, this is entirely too close
for comfort.  I unplugged the transformer and removed the battery
immediately after reading the responses to my post.  I will install a PC
5204 with battery and transformer as soon as they arrive.

Since I have been running this system for about 2 years with such a large
draw, is there any chance that the power supply on the main board could have
suffered permanent damage?  Right now everything seems OK when I power the
system up.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat