Re: DSC Power 832 Puzzle (Long)

The primary power draw problem with your configuration occurs when the
system goes into alarm (but you knew that) since the siren draws a big
amount of juice. The start-up of a self driven 12vdc siren (or more than
one) is an even bigger (at least double the siren's rated draw current),
albeit temporary and very short surge of juice, which is usually enough to
cause the CPU do do funny stuff- such as locking up, failing to dial out, or
dying a quick electronic death. Other devices also use slightly more power
when in an alarm condition, such as motion or smoke sensors, and the CPU
itself is working harder, drawing slightly more juice.

With your configuration, I would do 3 things- address the standby current
issues by installing a DSC power supply module, install at least a 12vdc 7ah
backup battery, and run a 12vdc low-draw relay off of the siren output,
hooking up fused power directly from the battery through the relay to the
sirens.

You also have a motion sensor that falsed. Is the wire nicked somewhere,
causing a ground fault swinger when the humidity rises? Have you sprayed for
spiders lately? Kids leave any mylar balloons in that room? Anything hanging
from the wall or ceiling that moves when the a/c kicks on? Any mirrors in
sight of the detector? House mouse close to the detector? Motion mounted
loosely on the wall? Motion sensor old? Motion sealed against insects
properly? Have ghosts? ;)