Re: DSC Power 832 Puzzle (Long)

Stanley Barthfarkle wrote:
> "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
>> Total draw (approx)               543 ma
>> Since the Power 832 is rated to supply 550 ma, this is entirely too
>> close for comfort ...
>> ... is there any chance that the power supply on the main
>> board could have suffered permanent damage? ...
> With your configuration, I would do 3 things- address the standby
> current issues by installing a DSC power supply module ...

I am adding the PC 5204 (plus battery plus transformer).

> ...  install at least a 12vdc 7ah backup battery ...

I ordered 2 new Power Sonic 12 v 5 ah batteries, one for the PC5010 and the
other for the PC5204.  I cannot fit a 7 ah battery into the main panel box
without trashing the box and altering the entire setup and all wiring..

> ... run a 12vdc low-draw relay off of the siren output, hooking up
> fused power directly from the battery through the relay to the sirens.

I don't understand the wiring for this.  Is this a common technique, and if
so can you give a reference for the circuit?

> You also have a motion sensor that falsed. Is the wire nicked
> somewhere, causing a ground fault swinger when the humidity rises?

Almost certainly not.  The sensor (Ademco 998) is in the basement and all
the wiring is exposed.  Additionally there has been no activity or
alterations anywhere in the vicinity of the wiring since it was installed.

> Have you sprayed for spiders lately?

No, but I will look into this.

> ... Kids leave any mylar balloons in
> that room? Anything hanging from the wall or ceiling that moves when
> the a/c kicks on? Any mirrors in sight of the detector? House mouse
> close to the detector? Motion mounted loosely on the wall? Motion
> sensor old? Motion sealed against insects properly? Have ghosts? ;)

All good ideas for further investigation.  Is there an online supplier for
ghost  detectors?

More seriously, is there a chance that the somewhat excessive current draw
that characterized the earlier setup could itself have triggered the Ademco
998 (which is rated to draw between 15 and 18 ma)?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat