Re: Vsita 15P programming question

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:TpidnZUhQYbeZ6fenZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Yes, you are correct. I was thinking the fault
>> would be an open...
>
> An open circuit would only indicate that the door was open (or that the
> wire had been cut).
>
>> With only one device on the line, it's highly
>> unlikely that the wire would somehow short
>> together in the cable...
>
> True, but EOL supervision is intended to protect against deliberate
> tampering as well as accidental damage.  FWIW, most alarm techs either
> don't bother with EOL resistors at all or mistakenly place them in the
> panel where they are useless.  The incidence of deliberate tampering is
> low enough that thgis rarely presents a problem.  However, it can and does
> happen on occasion, mostly in commercial apps where a dishonest employee
> may try to disable the protection.
>
>> Someone might drive a nail into the wall
>> or a rat might chew into the wire.
>
> Or a rat may have installed the wire in the first place.  :^)
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

Most residential type thieves aren't going to try to bypass an EOLR. If
anyone breaks in, it'll be the kid on meth who will use a more direct
approach. Kick the door in, grab what he can and run. If I'm home, he may
very well die from lead poisoning. If I'm not home, he'll be scared off by
the noise. If he is stupid enough to stay, the police will arrive an hour
later and tell him that what he did wasn't nice.

Bob