Vsita 15P programming question

All electrical and electronic manufacturers designate "normally open" as the
device state when the relay, switch, etc is in its resting state with no
signal applied. Therefore, if no magnet is applied to a reed switch, the
contacts are not closed and the switch is "normally open". However, my
Ademco manual talks about normally open circuits vs. normally closed
circuits. Is "normal" in alarm language considered to be with all windows
and doors closed with no alarm condition? Or is the normal state considered
to be when the windows are open, no magnet applied, contact open? The book
does not make a distinction between the definitions as related to devices
vs. circuits and their explanation is somewhat ambiguous. I suppose I could
program it both ways and see which one works, but it would be easier to do
it right the first time.

Bob