Re: avoiding being "locked out"

Robert L Bass wrote:
>>There are several reasons why it's in a monitoring
>>company's best interest to "lock out" a panel- mostly
>>having to do with keeping installer codes secret,
>>(which might be used in more than one customer's
>>panel)...
>

> The installing dealer has the option to use a different code in
> every panel or to use the same code in all of them.  If he's so
> incompetent that he uses the same code everywhere, that is his
> fault -- not the client's -- and it is his responsibility alone
> to remedy the situation at no cost to his customers.

this babbling makes no sense.  what dealers do is their own business,
not yours.  they can lock or not lock.  I'll bet very few do not lock,
and I know they're NOT the smart ones.

>>and keeping account numbers and central station
>>phone line numbers private...
>

> I always get a kick out of this excuse.  Years ago I needed to
> look up the phone number of a competitors.  The telco information
> operator gave me several local numbers from which to choose.  The
> first two turned out to be lines connected to one of their
> receivers.  :^)

I always get a kick out of BAss making up a story and thinking anyone
around here believes it. :^)

> The *real* reason alarm companies lock out alarm panels is
> nothing to do with customer security or false alarms.

This sentence proves BAss is an idiot or a moron, not sure which.

  They want
> to make it more costly for the client to switch monitoring
> services.  All the excuses about liability, security and such are
> nothing more than a smokescreen.  It's all about keeping the
> customer strapped to that monitoring contract.

BAss futile attempts at trying to sound like he knows what he is talking
about are nothing more than a smoke screen.  It's all about him not
being able to pass an OPEN BOOK test in FL to get his electrical license
, therefore he can't sell monitoring and because of that he is pissed at
those that can.  His answer to the mess he has himself in is to
denigrate honest business people because he can't be one.