Re: avoiding being "locked out"

> There are several reasons why it's in a monitoring
> company's best interest to "lock out" a panel- mostly
> having to do with keeping installer codes secret,
> (which might be used in more than one customer's
> panel)...

The installing dealer has the option to use a different code in
every panel or to use the same code in all of them.  If he's so
incompetent that he uses the same code everywhere, that is his
fault -- not the client's -- and it is his responsibility alone
to remedy the situation at no cost to his customers.

> and keeping account numbers and central station
> phone line numbers private...

I always get a kick out of this excuse.  Years ago I needed to
look up the phone number of a competitors.  The telco information
operator gave me several local numbers from which to choose.  The
first two turned out to be lines connected to one of their
receivers.  :^)

The *real* reason alarm companies lock out alarm panels is
nothing to do with customer security or false alarms.  They want
to make it more costly for the client to switch monitoring
services.  All the excuses about liability, security and such are
nothing more than a smokescreen.  It's all about keeping the
customer strapped to that monitoring contract.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms