job quotes

Any of you chaps that don't sub-contract care to share how you quote your
average res jobs? This is driving me batty. I find I spend more time dicking
around with mark-ups and estimating time (and these friggin things ALWAYS
have surprises (whathefuck is a check 100 ?!?)) than I do installing the
friggin' alarm. Do you price per point type thing or actually check the
place out and guesstimate your time? It may sound funny, but yes, I am
making money but I wish I could simplify the quote process.