Re: is wireless mature yet

For a long time, DSC refused to accept they had both a wireless problem and
a major credibility problem. Personally, I had so much trouble with their
wireless equipment, I stopped installing any of it some time ago. I also
posted a small statement on my website that I was no longer going to use DSC
equipment until they got what I considered to be their wireless quality
control problems fixed. It was a very innocuous statement and didn't really
reflect upon DSC in any bad sort of way (in fact, parts of it were
complimentary in general); just a statement that for the moment, I was no
longer going to sell DSC wireless.

Well, it wasn't up long and surprisingly I got a call from one of DSC's
national sales managers asking me to remove it, with a veiled threat that
"our lawyers are asking us to ask you to kindly remove it". It had never
been my intention to reflect badly on DSC (I also like their panels), so I
figured if it bothered them, I'll just take it down. No problem, and
certainly no bad feelings whatsoever all around. And certainly no skin off
my nose !!

However, later in the same conversation, I was invited to join what he was
calling a "wireless confidence study". I was to receive a large volume of
wireless equipment free of charge, to be installed by me, with all troubles
carefully tracked by DSC. I refused, because taking free equipment under
those circumstances would be a clear conflict of interest since I didn't
want to install any of it until all problems were resolved at the factory
end. I have never heard of this "wireless confidence study" before or since,
so I have to assume it was probably only a made up idea on the spur of the
moment. Shortly thereafter, I also had the AC rectifier on a Power 832
actually catch fire. It was the backbone of a large commercial system,and
cost me a full half day to replace etc. And if it had happened on a weekend
when the building was vacant, no doubt it would have caused a fire on the
premises. When I mentioned this to one of DSC's visiting technical
production managers at the local Tried branch, he asked for the board, saw
what had happened and requested he take the board and send me a replacement.
I never did receive the replacement board, and I now suspect his main
interest was eliminating a possible liability problem. All I know for sure
is, his word was no damn good !!

DSC no longer seems to be listening when it's main customers (the alarm
dealers) offer up their complaints. Perhaps that is why sales of their
equipment (at least through Tried) are down. Too bad; DSC is a good company
and overall make a excellent line of products in my opinion. But any company
that loses touch with their customer base and doesn't adequately deal with
their equipment problems, does so at their peril !!

Hmmmm.....I wonder it this has anything to do with all those "bean counters"
at ADT and their influence within  the Tyco family.....:)))

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com