medical alert service questions

Hi all,

I'm looking for some general information & advice,
not solicitations.

I want to get a medical alert device/service
for an elderly relative who lives far from me.
There is no need for burgular alarms or other
types of security.

I want to pay for a service rather than trust
something that calls the neighbors.  I want the
service to bill me not my relative.

Will the hardware just be an auto-dialer, similar
to the DIY medical alerts, but programmed for the
service?  If so, could/should I install it myself?

Should I be looking for a local or national service?

How do I pick a good service?

What other questions should I have?

Thanks,
-troy