Re: Your Favorite Install Tool?

alarman wrote:

> Use a 3/8" by 24" bit to drill through the window frame straight
> through to the attic. Right through the window frame, header, and
> top plate.

Ok, I'm starting to get the picture.  Thanks for your patience.  In
another message, I mention that I'm starting to believe that I don't
need to work in the attic at all (though all of this advice will still
be useful to me for other wiring projects which *do* involve crawling
around in the attic).  If you've read that message, are you able to
confirm whether my belief is correct?

> Be careful to measure so you don't go through the roof.

Right, as I realized from another message in this thread ...
("electrocute self first, drill through roof second ...")

> In pockets of insulation, stop the drill's rotation and push the bit
> up like a spear.

Ok, that addresses my concern for damaging the insulation on the way up,
then.

> The rods are just like the creep-zit rods, but they sell them
> separately as glow rods.

Right.  Now at least I know what to look for.  These would very likely
be valuable to me for other projects as well, so I expect I'll try and
pick up a set.

> If you still can't picture it, get on out to San Diego for a demonstration.
> (Bring your attic crawlin' clothes.)  ;-)

Funny you should mention that ...  I might just take you up on it.
There's a non-zero (though not otherwise significant) chance I may be
going to a conference in San-Diego in December.  It probably wouldn't be
too terrible for me to take an extra few days for some hands-on alarm
installation training.  :-)

I'll let you know ahead of time, but I'm not holding my breath ...

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Systems and Network analyst                       Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada