Re: Your Favorite Install Tool?

"Sylvain Robitaille" <syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:slrndlrcga.85ge.syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> alarman wrote:
>
> > They're made out of 5/16" tubing cut to 30-36" lengths. Slip a glow
> > rod into the tubing, ...
>
> Hrmmm...  I suspect I'm not picturing this correctly, but it's very
> likely only because I've never seen it done before.

Use a 3/8" by 24" bit to drill through the window frame straight through to
the attic. Right through the window frame, header, and top plate. Be careful
to measure so you don't go through the roof. In pockets of insulation, stop
the drill's rotation and push the bit up like a spear. You get a feel for it
after a while. The rods are just like the creep-zit rods, but they sell them
separately as glow rods. The tubing can be purchased at industrial supply
stores like Grainger or Johnstone Supply. I got lucky and found a supply of
perfectly straight, pre-cut pieces at an electronic surplus store.
If you still can't picture it, get on out to San Diego for a demonstration.
(Bring your attic crawlin' clothes.)  ;-)
js