Re: Tamper Contacts

"Will" <DELETE_westes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:QaqdnSExLOYLRM_eRVn-jA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Frank Olson" <Please-use-the-email-links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> message news:uLl4f.199011$oW2.183322@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> That's only part of the reason to use it.  A dishonest employee could
>> very
>> easily remove the cover from a motion sensor and wad it with toilet paper
>> (I've seen that done) so it won't sense anything.  In this instance,
>> employing the tamper would alert the CS who would in turn notify the
>> customer.
>
> I guess someone would probably at the same time remove the tamper wires
> and
> set them in whatever state (closed or opened) that would be needed to fool
> the panel?   There would be a brief tamper alarm, but it would go away and
> the alarm center might not act on it.

*Any* UL or ULC listed station would act on a tamper alarm.  No matter how
"brief".

> What would be a lot more useful to me would be some device that would send
> out e-mail notifications to a list of people based on circuits being seen
> as
> open or closed (user settable).   That way even a single tamper alarm is
> going to be seen by someone inside the company, almost for sure.    Does
> such a thing exist, or I guess you could just use a separate alarm panel
> for
> this purpose?

Most panels have a "pager" notification option.  Talk to your alarmco to
confirm it's available and activate it.  I can tell you that your CS *will*
act on a tamper signal.

>> Sometimes.  If, for instance, end-of-line resistors are properly placed
> (at
>> the motion sensor for instance), then either a "fault" or "trouble" will
>> show up at the keypad preventing the end-user from arming the system
>> until
>> the problem is repaired.  If, in the process of cutting the wire, the
> power
>> supply is also shorted out, then all the keypads in the system will
>> become
>> inactive and a call for service will go out to the installing company.
>> However, if end-of-line resistors aren't used and the power supply is
>> only
>> momentarily shorted (the panel employs MOV's or an automatically
> resettable
>> circuit breaker), then you could wind up with a short across the alarm
>> terminals.  The panel would never "see" an alarm from that zone and you
>> would have no way of determining at the keypad that something was amiss.
>
> Does having the tamper circuit in place improve this situation?

The chances are extremely slim that anyone would be "lucky enough" to cut
the wire in this manner.  He'd have to have to be sitting on a bag of
horseshoes.