Tamper Contacts

Keeping in mind that I am an end user with just enough electronics knowledge
to get myself in trouble, can someone explain the basics of how a tamper
contact on a PIR works?   We had to take a DS9370 out of service, and I
noticed that the two tamper contacts had not been wired.    Depending on how
these work, how easy they are to get working, and how important they are,  I
may direct our alarm guy to wire them in.

--
Will