Re: Ademco:PanelDumpsCentralStation

>I was just gonna say the same...more like he's acting
> as owner builder which there's nothing wrong with...
> thing is to know when you can do something and
> when you can't/shouldn't.

I had a customer order a Vista-128FB system from me earlier this year.  He
was installing his own fire/burg system in Florida.  The local AHJ at first
told him he could not do the work.  I printed and faxed to the customer and
the AHJ a copy of the state law which clearly states that an owner in this
gentleman's situation can indeed do his own fire alarm system.  After
reveiwing the schedule of protection, all component listing information,
battery calculations, etc., the AHJ signed off on the permit.

When the project was done the AHJ asked for a couple of minor changes -- one
pull station was too far from the exit door and the client hadn't installed
a strobe in one bathroom (the part was supplied but he forgot to wire for
it).  After those things were corrected the AHJ issued a C.O.  Because this
particular system included extensive burg and fire protection the client
saved better than $10K by doing the job himself.  It took him nearly four
sdays to do the job but I didn't get the impression that his business was
earning him $2500+ per day so I guess he made out OK.

>| Hiring a professional, in this case an electrical
>| contractor to install the system and hiring
>| another company-a professional alarm company
>| to test & inspect the system hardly qualifies as
>| a DIY install.

If L is referring to my comments regarding the Dade County project for which
I provided the hardware, I didn't exactly consider that one a DIY job
either.  However, I've sold lots of commercial fire alarm systems to
companies who were unwilling to pay the exhorbitant rates alarm contractors
wanted to do the job.  Most have their own staff do the installation.
Sometimes an on-site electrician does the job but that also isn't exactly
DIY.  Other times a technically competent staff person or even an owner with
a penchant for DIY projects will do the installation.

Due to changes in California law, we've been seeing a lot of commercial fire
alarm system orders for day care centers lately.  They don't usually need a
huge system because the properties are rarely very large.  The installation
is often bid by one or more alarm contractors at $6,000 or more.  The parts
rarely cost even $2K from my online store.  Most small day-care centers are
not well-off.  The savings from DIY can be a real help to them.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics
2291 Pine View Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34231
941-925-9747 Sales & Tech Support
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com

BTW, I usually advise the client to have a licensed alarm tech or
electrician inspect and test the system due to the risks involved in
commercial fire, particularly where children are involved.