Re: Compass Software

"Joe Lucia" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1129999570.475252.229200@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Once again, you demonstrate a lack of knowledge when it comes to Ademco
>>panels.  If the CSID of the downloading computer doesn't match the CSID in
>>the panel, it doesn't matter if you have the installer code or not.  The
>>panel will refuse to connect.
>
> When I WAS downloading a lot of ademco panels, I understood that if you
> default the CSID in the panel or manually enter all F's, then Anyones
> software can perform an initial download (which will set the panel CSID
> to the softwares CSID preventing any else from downloading it).  Once
> in installer mode, there is a command to "Initialize Download ID".
> Does that not mean what it says?

Yes, but in order to do so you must default the panel at the keypad.  If the
downloading agency has locked it from local programming there's no way
you're going to gain access to it with another computer that's using Compass
*unless* they (by some miracle) match the CSID.

> I am definitely not familiar with all panels defaults and available, I
> didn't intend to make a general statements about "all" panels.  I just
> know that with this particular wireless package (a sealed box direct
> from Ademco), even an "experienced" tech would have had trouble
> programming the wireless zones without the software (of course a REAL
> professional would have a spare alpha keypad in the truck to program
> the system, then change it out with the non-alpha keypad that came in
> the box, or, have someone in the office to program it for them).

Check!!

> I guess I just have an Open Source mentality which doesn't belong here
> (me being a software developer and all).  Open Source, not Open Access.
> I feel like the individual who has the technical skills and no money
> to spend on a professional installer, should have the opportunity to
> program their systems themselves.

I've got no problem with that either.  As long as the system remains "local"
and isn't monitored.  The individual I won't mention used to sell
monitoring.  He'd provide anyone with a valid credit card the information
necessary to program their own panel to call his third party central
station.  That facility was under the mistaken (I'm sure) impression that
their *Dealer* was actually doing the programming.  I'm almost certain if
they new the end user had access to installer level programming, they'd have
"kaniptions".

> Unless we are assuming someone who
> doesn't have the money also doesn't have the technical skills.

He can "acquire" all the technical skills he needs in just "about two hours"
on the phone with a certain individual that used to post here but whose name
I won't mention.

> suppose they need to find a system that either allows programming
> software to the end-use, or figure out the keypad programming.  If
> neither of those work for them, then they have a nice big paper-weight
> and have no right to use that equipment to help provide them a sense of
> security (other then throwing it at the burglar).  Enabling the DIY
> just isn't part of Honeywells business plan and we should respect that
> as such.  These panels were not intended to be sold to end-users or
> DIY's.  They are to be sold to professionals who know how to program
> them (with or without the software).

I agree to a certain extent.  The DIY market (in the US at least) is *huge*.
Heck, I've even installed a sink all by myself (and I'm in Canada).  There
are certain things that individuals gifted with some mechanical or technical
expertise can do, and others things that they can't.

> O c'mon, it's a public post, I wasn't implying you did, nor do I expect
> you would based on your views here.  It was to Anyone who might think
> it is OK to do so.  Apparently there is only ONE person here who really
> thinks it OK to give it out.  And it's NOT YOU, to make that clear :)

Glad we got that straight!!  ;-)