Re: Compass Software

>Once again, you demonstrate a lack of knowledge when it comes to Ademco
>panels.  If the CSID of the downloading computer doesn't match the CSID in
>the panel, it doesn't matter if you have the installer code or not.  The
>panel will refuse to connect.

When I WAS downloading a lot of ademco panels, I understood that if you
default the CSID in the panel or manually enter all F's, then Anyones
software can perform an initial download (which will set the panel CSID
to the softwares CSID preventing any else from downloading it).  Once
in installer mode, there is a command to "Initialize Download ID".
Does that not mean what it says?

I am definitely not familiar with all panels defaults and available, I
didn't intend to make a general statements about "all" panels.  I just
know that with this particular wireless package (a sealed box direct
from Ademco), even an "experienced" tech would have had trouble
programming the wireless zones without the software (of course a REAL
professional would have a spare alpha keypad in the truck to program
the system, then change it out with the non-alpha keypad that came in
the box, or, have someone in the office to program it for them).

I guess I just have an Open Source mentality which doesn't belong here
(me being a software developer and all).  Open Source, not Open Access.
 I feel like the individual who has the technical skills and no money
to spend on a professional installer, should have the opportunity to
program their systems themselves.  Unless we are assuming someone who
doesn't have the money also doesn't have the technical skills.  I
suppose they need to find a system that either allows programming
software to the end-use, or figure out the keypad programming.  If
neither of those work for them, then they have a nice big paper-weight
and have no right to use that equipment to help provide them a sense of
security (other then throwing it at the burglar).  Enabling the DIY
just isn't part of Honeywells business plan and we should respect that
as such.  These panels were not intended to be sold to end-users or
DIY's.  They are to be sold to professionals who know how to program
them (with or without the software).

>> Still, don't give out the username and password if it is not yours to
>> give and this discussion would never have started.

>I think you're barkin' up the wrong tree there bud...  I'm not the one that
>provided the info.  No alarm professional worth his salt would do that
>either.

O c'mon, it's a public post, I wasn't implying you did, nor do I expect
you would based on your views here.  It was to Anyone who might think
it is OK to do so.  Apparently there is only ONE person here who really
thinks it OK to give it out.  And it's NOT YOU, to make that clear :)