Re: Commercial Alarm - help

J. Sloud wrote:
> On 2 Nov 2005 10:10:04 -0800, "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >I don't know what you're trying to "sell" here but if you truly believe
> >that all alarm systems fail, you're either a politician or daft. Do you
> >really believe that all alarm systems fail? I don't mean to say that
> >they "never" fail, but all of them fail, all the time? I can say the
> >same thing about automobile accidents. 99% of people have fatal
> >accident. Because, certainly we don't want to consider all the people
> >who DON'T have fatal accidents or those who don't have any.
> >

> Do a google search for "99% false alarm" and you'll see reports from
> police departments all across the country showing false alarm rates at
> or above 99%.

J! wake up!

I don't believe I've got to go though this with someone who's in the
trade.

If you have 20,000 alarm signals being received a month and all but a
few are false, you're saying that they have a 99% false alarm rate.
Now, lets say they do a revamp of the alarm systems, get every end user
to take alarm classes, set up fines and the alarm signals are reduced
to a fantastically low, 1000 alarm signals a month with all but a few
being false. By YOUR reckoning, all alarm systems have a 99% false
alarm rate.

You're throwing this 99% around as if all alarm systems are sending in
false alarm signals and you're completely ignoring and not comparing it
to the actual number of systems that are installed.

> Granted, most of these are nuisance alarms caused by end users
> triggering the system accidently.  The equipment is blame in far fewer
> cases.  However, the end result is the same.

Does it make any difference what causes the false alarm in your 99%?

> The car wreck analogy is a bad one.

My analogy about fatal accidents is comparable to what you're trying to
say about false alarms. If you can ignore the verified false signals
and the systems that don't send false signals, to arrive at a 99% rate
of false alarms for all alarm systems, then I guess I can ignore the
people in non fatal accidents and those that don't have any ...... to
say that all accidents are fatal.