Re: Commercial Alarm - help

On 31 Oct 2005 07:33:44 -0800, "Al Colombo"
<securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Unless the protected areas are behind outdoor chainlink fences, how can
>you dispatch the police?  On the inside of the house, that's quite
>possible today, I realize.  So, are  you suggesting that we forgo the
>electronic alarm system and replace it with intelligent video?  Just
>curious if that's something you would endorse.
>
>Al

Not yet.  There could be a day when motion detectors are replaced by
video.  This is already being done in multiple outdoor applications
and quite a few industrial type indoor apps where large scale motion
detection isn't practical.  Eventually, this technology may be adapted
to the smaller scale instrusion detection market.

The point is the current technology doesn't work very well.  Name
another industry where end-users tolerate 99% failure rates.  Once
police response is eliminated through ordinances and no-response
policies, the industry will be forced to rethink their value
proposition.  What exactly are they selling?  Peace of mind?
Protection?  Noise makers?

IMO, the real money is in video/ access and recurring services outside
of traditional burglar alarm monitoring.  Margins are better,
competition is less, and growth rates are three times higher.  I'll
leave the single family BA installations to you guys.

J.