Re: It's me

Oddly, it only seemed to do it the first time... perhaps it also
deposited a cookie.  But it sure as f*ck was a persistant bugger.

Okay, just for laughs, I just deleted all the cookies on my server, and
hit bassburglaralarms.com again... and got the WinFixer popups again!

And again, it asks me to install WinFixer... to wit, "NOTICE: If your
computer has errors in the registry database, it could cause
unpredictable or erratic behavior, freezes and crashs. Fixing these
errors can increase your computer's performance and prevent data loss.
Would you like to install WinFixer 2005 to check your computer for free?
(Recommended)" Cancelling opens another window to the WinFixer site and
an Installer popup telling me that by clicking the Continue button I am
"accepting [their] terms and conditions", and with only a "Continue"
button, no Cancel button.

Clicking the X on the top-right closes that popup, but on closing the IE
window, another warning pops up: "NOTICE: You have not completed the
errors[sic] scan. If your computer has errors in the file system or
Windows registry, it could cause unpredictable or erratic PC behavior,
freezes, crashes and loss of data. You need to install WinFixer 2005 to
scan for and, if found, fix system errors now (Recommended)?"

Hitting Cancel gives the popup "WinFixer 2005 will scan your system for
errors now.  Please select "RUN" or "OPEN" when prompted to start the
installation. This file has been digitally signed and independently
certified as 100% free of viruses, adware and spyware."  And only an
"OK" button.

Which dutifully gives me the "If automated download doesn't start..."
window, and the Open/Save/Cancel/MoreInfo dialog.

This is entirely reproduceable... it doesn't come back until I delete
cookies, and the just refreshing the bassburglaralarms.com homepage
starts the whole process over again.

mikey wrote:
> okay on my w2k machine here Sat morning
>
> "Matt Ion" <soundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>>You're a liar, Olson.
>>>

>>No he's not... I just tried it on a fresh new heavily-secured install of
>>Win2K3 server (ie. NO spyware here)... bassburglaralarms.com almost
>>immediately gave me a popup for WinFixer and when I hit Cancel it opened
>>a new window with the WinFixer page and another popup announcing it was
>>the WinFixer installer, without my even clicking anything on the page.
>>
>>Nice.
>>
>>Ah, then back on the original window, I got the same initial WinFixer
>>popup again... cancelling again gave me an "Are you sure??" popup, and
>>cancelling that gave me an "your automated download will begin..."
>>popup, and a "Save/Open" download dialog all ready to start downloading
>>the thing!
>>
>>Y'know, I'm new in these parts, and I really couldn't be bothered going
>>back into the group archives to look stuff up when others started
>>posting "warnings" about you; I just figured they were being reactionary
>>or something, as tends to happen online, because I didn't expect you
>>could REALLY be as much as a shmuck as they claimed...
>>
>>Now I see they were right.
>>
>>Either that, or someone else has slipped this code into your site and
>>you're just incredibly dense for not realizing it.
>>

>>---
>>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>>Virus Database (VPS): 0545-2, 11/11/2005
>>Tested on: 11/12/2005 4:40:02 AM
>>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0545-2, 11/11/2005
Tested on: 11/12/2005 11:54:48 AM