Re: RLB NX8E and Shabbat

> So their religious practices make life
> in the modern world kinda difficult,
> I would imagine.

It complicates things somewhat but that's part of the price of faith.

> The light in the refrigerator is a no-no,
> but the refrigerator actually running is
> ok? I'm totally confusted :-)

It isn't the fact that something is running that's at issue.  The religious
code forbids them from initiating or terminating "fire" which has been
interpreted by religious leaders to include turning electrical circuits on
or off.  Opening the door turns on the light so that's not permitted.
Walking past a PIR breaks the circuit (zone loop), throws a relay and
triggers an LED -- all forbidden.

The refrigerator compressor runs by itself.  It is not "controlled" by
opening the door so it's OK to open the door.  I once asked about the fact
that opening the door causes the temperature to change which in turn causes
the compressor to run.  He explained that because there's not a direct link
it's OK.  There's an awful lot more to it than this but that's the best I
can explain it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass