Re: RLB NX8E and Shabbat

news:F4ednV1D54NJjxvfRVn-uQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> So their religious practices make life
>> in the modern world kinda difficult,
>> I would imagine.
>
> It complicates things somewhat but that's part of the price of faith.
>
>> The light in the refrigerator is a no-no,
>> but the refrigerator actually running is
>> ok? I'm totally confusted :-)
>
> It isn't the fact that something is running that's at issue.  The
> religious code forbids them from initiating or terminating "fire" which
> has been interpreted by religious leaders to include turning electrical
> circuits on or off.  Opening the door turns on the light so that's not
> permitted. Walking past a PIR breaks the circuit (zone loop), throws a
> relay and triggers an LED -- all forbidden.
>
> The refrigerator compressor runs by itself.  It is not "controlled" by
> opening the door so it's OK to open the door.  I once asked about the fact
> that opening the door causes the temperature to change which in turn
> causes the compressor to run.  He explained that because there's not a
> direct link it's OK.  There's an awful lot more to it than this but that's
> the best I can explain it.

So if you were somehow able to turn the refridgerator light "on" *before*
they opened the door they'd be OK with that??  What about turning on lights
*before* they enter a room and turning them off shortly after they leave
it??  Would simply walking around in your house activating various different
types of unobtrusive sensors that would restore a degree of "normal living"
be considered "forbidden"??  If an interpretation of His "instructions"
include having to fumble around in the dark and risk "taking His name in
vain" when I stubb my toe or bang my knee, I'd seriously consider initiating
some "alternative measures"...  :-))