Re: Alarm systems w/o phone line

At one point in time I had over 200 of them in service but I sold some =
of those accounts, now I only have maybe 15-20.

Recovery is easy if I have contact with the new homeowner, either they =
want it or they dont..in which case I just unhook it an put it in my =
pocket. I have small labels on them that state: Property Of xxxxx - its =
the only alarm device I don't actually sell.

The only ones I lose is if the new owners go with another company...but =
then again they CANT reuse the Uplink until its been dead for 3 =
months...so it's not like they can just switch it over...it's dead meat. =
If I keep paying for it it will never be able to be registered by =
another company too.

And since they are all mine anyway...no guilt :-)

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
> Sounds like I'm not alone in using them that way. So far, I only have =
two in=20
> service; one I sold to the gentleman for continuous backup to his =
phone line=20
> (personal family problems necessitated it on an urgent basis). The =
second I=20
> purchased and lent to the client while Bell sits on its hands. I'm =
buying a=20
> third one for another client without phone service but with a new =
alarm=20
> system my son is busy installing as we talk.....
>=20
> Have you had any problems recovering the devices when the home has =
been sold=20
> ?
>=20
> RHC
>=20
> "Crash Gordon=AE" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> I love the easy setup & admin. I use the 1500's too. They're a little=20
> cheaper here, but probably not much (dunno the exchange rate off =
hand). I=20
> maintain ownership of the radio itself, I just charge to install it =
and=20
> maintain it. So...I end up getting them back when people move and the =
new=20
> owners dont want it. I always have 4 or 5 laying around that way. And =
I only=20
> charge 10 bucks more a month for the monitoring, so it works out well, =
but=20
> not a big money maker. If the client's are on fixed income budget I =
just=20
> charge them what Uplink charges me.
>=20
> The new ones are mucho better than the legacy ones though.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> > Yes, I've found Uplink to be an excellent and very cost effective =
solution
> > for the odd time I use it. It seems to work well even in areas where
> > cellphone use is not very reliable. The Uplink 1500 device can send =
three=20
> > or
> > four defined signals...ie: generic burglary, generic fire, telephone =
line
> > monitor and one other. The dealer can access it via the internet and =
even
> > cancel or activate service on the device from there.
> >
> > We currently have a telephone company strike going on here and I'm=20
> > starting
> > to install systems where there is no phone line installed yet. So =
for the
> > month or two the client has to wait for Bell service, I temporarily =
hook=20
> > up
> > an Uplink device to provide monitoring service to the Central =
Station,=20
> > which
> > gives the client this vital part of his alarm system, and from my =
point of
> > view, allows me to start billing for RMR.
> >
> > Only downside is the units cost about $350 Canadian each which I =
can't=20
> > pass
> > on to the client. However, I own a few now, and simply deactivate =
the unit
> > and put it back in stock for the next client needing it, once the =
phone=20
> > line
> > is installed. And Uplink only charge for those months where the =
device is
> > actually on line at any time during that month.
> >
> > Uplink folk are very flexible and nice to deal with. It's not often =
I'm
> > impressed with any company in this bottom line driven industry, but =
my
> > limited exposure to them has been all positive
> >
> > R.H.Campbell
> > Home Security Metal Products
> > Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> > www.homemetal.com
> >

> > "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Anyone, including a DIYer can hook one up as long as the seller =
has a
> > > dealer account.

> > > Correct.  It's only intended for alarm communications; not voice=20
> > > telephone
> > > calls.
> > >
> > > --=20
> > >
> > > Regards,