Re: Alarm systems w/o phone line

I love the easy setup & admin. I use the 1500's too. They're a little =
cheaper here, but probably not much (dunno the exchange rate off hand). =
I maintain ownership of the radio itself, I just charge to install it =
and maintain it. So...I end up getting them back when people move and =
the new owners dont want it. I always have 4 or 5 laying around that =
way. And I only charge 10 bucks more a month for the monitoring, so it =
works out well, but not a big money maker. If the client's are on fixed =
income budget I just charge them what Uplink charges me.=20

The new ones are mucho better than the legacy ones though.

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
> Yes, I've found Uplink to be an excellent and very cost effective =
solution=20
> for the odd time I use it. It seems to work well even in areas where=20
> cellphone use is not very reliable. The Uplink 1500 device can send =
three or=20
> four defined signals...ie: generic burglary, generic fire, telephone =
line=20
> monitor and one other. The dealer can access it via the internet and =
even=20
> cancel or activate service on the device from there.
>=20
> We currently have a telephone company strike going on here and I'm =
starting=20
> to install systems where there is no phone line installed yet. So for =
the=20
> month or two the client has to wait for Bell service, I temporarily =
hook up=20
> an Uplink device to provide monitoring service to the Central Station, =
which=20
> gives the client this vital part of his alarm system, and from my =
point of=20
> view, allows me to start billing for RMR.
>=20
> Only downside is the units cost about $350 Canadian each which I can't =
pass=20
> on to the client. However, I own a few now, and simply deactivate the =
unit=20
> and put it back in stock for the next client needing it, once the =
phone line=20
> is installed. And Uplink only charge for those months where the device =
is=20
> actually on line at any time during that month.
>=20
> Uplink folk are very flexible and nice to deal with. It's not often =
I'm=20
> impressed with any company in this bottom line driven industry, but my =

> limited exposure to them has been all positive
>=20
> R.H.Campbell
> Home Security Metal Products
> Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> www.homemetal.com
>=20
>=20
> "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
> >> Uplink...but it's not a DIYer thing.
> >> You have to have a dealer account...
> >
> > Anyone, including a DIYer can hook one up as long as the seller has =
a=20
> > dealer account.
> >
> >> And you can't talk on it.
> >
> > Correct.  It's only intended for alarm communications; not voice =
telephone=20
> > calls.
> >
> > --=20
> >
> > Regards,