Re: Alarm systems w/o phone line

Yes, I've found Uplink to be an excellent and very cost effective solution
for the odd time I use it. It seems to work well even in areas where
cellphone use is not very reliable. The Uplink 1500 device can send three or
four defined signals...ie: generic burglary, generic fire, telephone line
monitor and one other. The dealer can access it via the internet and even
cancel or activate service on the device from there.

We currently have a telephone company strike going on here and I'm starting
to install systems where there is no phone line installed yet. So for the
month or two the client has to wait for Bell service, I temporarily hook up
an Uplink device to provide monitoring service to the Central Station, which
gives the client this vital part of his alarm system, and from my point of
view, allows me to start billing for RMR.

Only downside is the units cost about $350 Canadian each which I can't pass
on to the client. However, I own a few now, and simply deactivate the unit
and put it back in stock for the next client needing it, once the phone line
is installed. And Uplink only charge for those months where the device is
actually on line at any time during that month.

Uplink folk are very flexible and nice to deal with. It's not often I'm
impressed with any company in this bottom line driven industry, but my
limited exposure to them has been all positive

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com