Re: NX8E and Shabbat

> Am upgrading one of our residential customers
> from an old system that contained a switch,
> when thrown to off, would remove voltage from
> all the old ultrasonic motion detectors and the
> keypads, thereby eliminating lighted leds and
> clicking relays -- thus satisfying their requirement
> for Shabbat.
>
> Any suggestions from any of you as to how to
> accomplish a similar mission for a 16-zone
> NX8E system?

You can do the exact same thing.  Just be sure to disarm before throwing the
switch.

> How do I handle the blinking LEDS
> in the smoke detectors and the power
> light on the Macurco carbon
> monoxide detectors?

It is niether necessary nor advisable to do that.  Blinking LEDs, in and of
themselves, are not a violation of Jewish law.  You only need to eliminate
LEDs and other things which are controlled by the activities of the family
during Shabbat.  For example, you can leave a light on in the kitchen during
Yom Tov, but you cannot have the refridgerator light come on when the door
opens.

For a more detailed discussion of the needs of Orthodox Jews and ways to
make an automation or security system compliant with their religious
regulations, click this link http://tinyurl.com/b7nyu which takes you to a
Google search of my earlier posts on this subject.

If you need help designing a system for an Orthodox family or synagogue,
feel free to contact me.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass