Re: NFPA's Creation of Security Standards/Codes

Timely question Mr. Colombo:

It is my opinion that we have failed miserably in writing
standards for our own industry, mainly because we let
the NBFAA lead the way. They didn't, now we are faced with
the NFPA getting into the ball game. When we had the
opportunity, we should have pushed the NBFAA to take
charge. But, the "good ole boys" were more interested
in merging with the CSAA and anyone else that would
help their bottom line.

It is my opinion, they (NFPA) should stay the hell out
of security. Weather you're a fireman, a fire inspector,
or a fire system technician/installer, you know they are
the leaders in Fire standards and it should stay that way.

Beside, who determined that the NFPA would be as
good making security standards as they are at fire standards.
They don't have the background in security.

BTW, it is common knowledge and has been announced by
UL, that they will be driving this issue all the way to the
bank in support of NFPA getting into burg systems.
It will cost everyone..........just like UL is doing with
fire.

Norm Mugford
Vice-Chairman
Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
Electrical Contractors Licensing Board.