Re: Dealers: More Security for the Buck

Celso Lujan wrote:
> Devin wrote:
>

>>> The system is not UL approved, and I don't believe it will ever be
>>> sent to them for approval.  The cost of UL testing is prohibitive and
>>> all it does is add a name to the product. It doesn't make the product
>>> better or worse.
>>

>> If it isn't UL Listed. Then i doubt it would get CSA approved up here.
>> And we wont touch a product that isn't. Too easy for an inspector to
>> have ya rip it out. And most engineering firms and builders(even home)
>> require it when your qouting on thier projects, Commercial or
>> residential. Like one of the others said it will shut out most of the
>> market this is intended for.
>>
>> Just some food for thought.
>
> Devin:
>
> Thanks a lot.  It seems you feel like most other contributors to this
> group, and while I did not have to go throught the UL hassle for
> govenment installations, it appears I will have to do it for commercial
> applications.

Really? goverment here is so picky alot of companies dont even want to
bid because of all the standards the tenders call for. Has to meet
UL,CSA and usually a bunch of other standards some desk jockey has no
idea about,but they look good on paper.

> Any ideas on how to start the process of getting a listing?  And as
> Robert Bass indicated it appears the system has to be listed for it's
> intended use.  The difficult part about the whole thing seems to be the
> fact that many different components can be added as enhancements to the
> system.  Do they all have to be listed; even-though, they have been
> individually listed by the Underwriters Labs?  Any inputs would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much for your inputs.
>
> Celso Lujan
As for starting the process i dont really know. Im sure the info can be
found on the internet here http://www.ul.com . One place you may find
some info is from talking to companies that do building intergration, As
they have experience with multiple products/area's intergrated into one.
One job here they had lighting,phone,card access,heating and plumbing
controls all intergrated to one system. And i dont think any of it was
the same manufacturer.