Re: Dealers: More Security for the Buck

>>>...some people feel good if they see a UL label on the product.
>>

>> The problem is those people include
>> building inspectors, insurance underwriters,
>> etc.
>>
>> If you want your product to become a
>> commercial success you really ought to consider UL listing (there's no
>> such thing
>> as "UL approval").  Without it the largest
>> segment of the marketplace is closed to
>> you.
>>
> Robert:
>
> The system is an integration of off-the-shelf products.  The motherboard
> is manufactured by VIA, the hard disk by MAXTOR, the serial hubs by
> COMTROL, and the network switches by various manufacturers.  The PLCs by
> IDEC, who has the distinction of being the first manufacturerer of small
> industrial based programmable logic controllers. All the items used have a
> UL listing; hence, this being the case, does the integrated system require
> a UL listing?  I believe not; however, I could be terribly mistaken on
> this point.

If it's being used for access control and/or fire alarm purposes the listing
(UL is one possible listing) should be "for the purpose".  IOW, the devices
should be listed by the manufacturer for the purpose.  This will give you a
broader market reach.

> It seems, if I were to UL list it, I would be
> duplicating an effort which has already
> been accomplished.

There are UL listings for all sorts of purposes.  The listing needs to be
for the type of use you intend for the product.  Electric toasters carry the
UL seal.  That only means that when tested as toasters they didn't burn the
lab down.  A fire alarm control panel must be shown to as a fire alarm
control panel and without creating other hazards.  Likewise an access
control system needs to perform certain functions such as letting people out
in an emergency.  That's the short version.  There's much more to listing
than we can cover here.

I don't want to discourage you from bringing your product to market.  You
might have the best idea of the year.  I hope it works well for you.

De onde você é?  Seu nome é Portugues?

> I believe what I have done is assembled well
> known peripherals in a rather clever way...

It certainly appears so.

> integrated them nicely with software, and I
> have arrived at a solution which is inexpensive,
> very reliable, and it has the ability of being
> fixed from a remote location.
>
> Thank you very much for your comments,
> Robert.  Your inputs were greatly appreciated,
> and, if my thinking is way off-base, please let
> me know.

No problem, Celso.  My comments are only suggestions which might open up a
wider potential for your product.  I hope it succeeds.  Boa sorte!

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics