Re: Dealers: More Security for the Buck

Robert L. Bass wrote:
>>...some people feel good if they see a UL label on the product.
>

> The problem is some of people include building inspectors, insurance
> underwriters, etc.
>
> If you want your product to become a commercial success you really ought to
> consider UL listing (there's no such thing as "UL approval").  Without it
> the largest segment of the marketplace is closed to you.

Robert:

The system is an integration of off-the-shelf products.  The motherboard
   is manufactured by VIA, the hard disk by MAXTOR, the serial hubs by
COMTROL, and the network switches by various manufacturers.  The PLCs by
IDEC, who has the distinction of being the first manufacturerer of small
industrial based programmable logic controllers. All the items used have
a UL listing; hence, this being the case, does the integrated system
require a UL listing?  I believe not; however, I could be terribly
mistaken on this point.

It seems, if I were to UL list it, I would be duplicating an effort
which has already been accomplished.

I believe what I have done is assembled well known peripherals in a
rather clever way, integrated them nicely with software, and I have
arrived at a solution which is inexpensive, very reliable, and it has
the ability of being fixed from a remote location.

Thank you very much for your comments, Robert.  Your inputs were greatly
appreciated, and, if my thinking is way off-base, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Celso Lujan