Re: Why Don't You Like DSC? (Addressed to those that don't.)

> > I find Napco not very easy to use for
> > the end user, which is my primary concern.
>
> Jim, this is not intended as a slam but I think the problem might have
more
> to do with teaching methods than the panel itself.  I've taught thousands
of
> people to use Napco systems and probably ten thousand to install their
own.
> Over the years I developed a teaching procedure that seems to work well.
> Because Napco panels have so many features and options, don't try to teach
> everything at once.  Walk the entire family through the basice -- arm,
> disarm, bypass, interior on / off and panic modes.  Let each person take a
> turn doing the basic maneuvers and then answer questions.  Once everyone
is
> comfortable with that much I move on to advanced setting *only* if they
want
> to know.  If not, a return visit can be scheduled after they've had time
> use the panel and study the user manual for a while.  Most clients take
the
> latter option.  I often get phone calls a week or two later asking how to
do
> this or that and that's it.

Every Napco panel since the 1008LKDL has been much more complicated to
program and far less user friendly than any other panel I've ever dealt
with, I could deal with that if they were more advanced than the competition
but they aren't. They have to know this since they came out with the latest
revision of the high end panels which claim to be easier to keypad program
(but aren't). When a manufacturer requires 3 different program/installation
manuals to program one dinky panel you know they have a problem.

In my opinion the best option they have is to move to the same type of
programming found on the low end GEM-P800 panels. There is are good reasons
why Napco is far behind the other manufacturers in sales in spite of them
being one of the oldest manufacturers around