Re: Bypass Telco's NID box?

> Is is considered a "Tariff Violation" if
> you move the network interface device...

True, but most telcos never do anything about it as long as the NID is
properly grounded and you don't do anything strange like splicing onto the
drop.

> The phone company according to the
> FCC tariff can refuse telephone service
> until the tariff violation is rectified.

They can but I've moved countless NIDs over the years and they have never
done anything at all about it.  That was SNET in Connecticut.  Other telco's
may be quite different.

> You can request to have the "NID" (or as
> commonly referred to as an "O&I") moved
> into your basement, at a premium fee, I
> might add...

90% of the time they will refuse to move it unless the current location is
about to be walled in or demolished.  On those occasions where they do move
it they will indeed charge a fat fee for the service.

> You also must be available for all service
> calls so that the phone company has access
> to the interface device.

That's better than leaving it exposed where anyone can get at it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics