Bypass Telco's NID box?

Instead of buying a cellular backup system, I'm considering protecting
my phone line from easy cuts. The line comes to my house approx 15' off
the ground, runs down the house to the telco installed NID. It then
goes back up the house and into the attic towards my central wiring
terminal in the basement (where I also installed my alarm panel.
Obviously the loop down to the NID is extremely susceptable to cutting
since it goes to eye level. Even running this loop through conduit
would be a waste since a screwdriver would allow access into the NID
anyway. I'm considering running the Telco line directly into the attic
and leaving the loop to the NID as a decoy. Does anyone know if there
are any legal penalties for doing so since the circuit is technically
not mine until it exits the NID?

Bobby