Re: Advice on sensors, please

Old Dad Smith wrote:
> The plan may be misleading - there is no partition between the Playroom
> and Lounge room, only a couple of steps. Therefore, I am hoping that
> sensor 5 will cover the 30 ft. distance to the patio doors and detect
> someone breaking the glass.
>
> I intend to use combined PIR/microwave sensors to avoid radiators
> triggering the alarm.

In addition to all the advice you've already received, I haven't looked
at your floor plan but just the description of your system sounds as if
your intention is only to arm the system when you are not home. OR, to
try to arm the system with some motion detectors active, when you go to
bed. It is adviseable to concentrate more on a perimiter system with
motion/glassbreak detectors as a backup. Motion detectors were/are not
meant to be a primary form of detection. Contacts on doors and windows
are a very stable form of detection, and allow for more versatility in
the use of your system. You can count on the fact that the easier it is
to use, the more likely it WILL be used. Also .... More motion
detectors .... more possibility of false alarms. Every motion/glass
break detector should be on it's own zone, by the way. Also, it's a
good idea from day one, to get used to arming your system when you are
home ( and in for the night) and definitly when you go to bed. Just
think in terms of ......... when are your most valuable things in the
house? Just think for a moment. If you had a choice of only arming the
system either when you were home or when you're away .... which should
you choose?

Lots of motion detectors will make arming the system while you're home
difficult, which will cause you to not do it. And that's the most
important time to have it armed. The basic builders smoke detectors are
great, but don't forget smoke and heat detectors as part of your alarm
system. Because these will allow the fire department to be called when
you're away from the house. And when you're in the house ...... What
good is a beeping local smoke detector when you've already been
overcome by smoke?  This is a life safety system, skimping is the last
thing you want to do. You'll never get another opportunity to do it as
good as you can, while the house is being built. At the very least, run
all the wire that you possibly can NOW.