Re: Troubleshooting Question

70% have problems...hmmmm...they do a great job eh?=20

Welp, take one new switch of the same manufacturer and measure it in =
closed state...then do a few calcs to figure what the loop resistance =
including the wire "should" be...you'll never be exact but if you track =
it over time you'll know if somethings going south.

You can also check it against another loop in the same system with =
similar amt of contacts if one is showing 2-4 ohms and the other is =
showing 15 you'll know. Also, you should know what the voltage should be =
on the particular panel you're working on on the zones...the =
manufacturer should tell you what normal voltage range should be on =
zones.

ps.. Progressive Electronics tracer/loop thingie is great for this =
stuff...particularly the one with the latching beeper...you connect it =
to the loop then go around banging on contacts...one guy can find a =
swinger (usually).

"J P Shull III" <jpshull@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
| Great Answer!!!
| I usually check the magnets for alignment first as suggested.  I =
wonder what=20
| the resistence should be?  I use a toner to check continuity and =
determine=20
| which cable is which opening.
| Most of these are Prewires done by the company that does more than any =
other=20
| in the US.  About 70% of them have problems.
| Thanks again!!!
| JP
|=20
| "Crash Gordon=AE" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
| Yep. I read loop resistance on every zone when I do yearly inspections =
and=20
| write it in the alarm can...helps troubleshoot over the years if you =
see the=20
| resistance rising on a loop sometimes you can nip a problem in the =
bud.
|=20
|=20
| "alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message=20
| > Crash Gordon=AE wrote:
| > > A latching toner helps turn this into a one man job too.
| > >
| > > Also with ohmmeter check for shorts to window frames or ground.
| >
| > Good point. Most guys don't check that, and it's fairly common to =
find a
| > ground fault.
| > js
| >
| >=20