Re: Electric Lock choice

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:44:45 -0400, "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Jack,

My point was to caution the original poster about improper use of
mags.  I know you know your stuff, but we see it all the time, and I
get a little pissed off when I see a potentially life-threatening
situation.  I've also seen too many instances where power been lost to
a maglock and critical doors are left to flap open in the breeze.
I've also watched a smart-ass engineer slide a pice of paper through a
crack between the door and frame to activate a Rex motion and open a
mag.  We install a lot of mags, but we're careful where they go and
what their limitations are.  Same with strikes.  I've seen those
mounted on the unsecured side, open to tampering, way too many times
as well.  I've seen customers bypass them with a key.  Of course a
good IDS with DPS at least lets you know when the doors been
compromised.

>Yeah, then tell me the Government follows NFPA101 in that instance? They're
>all just guidelines.

They actually insisted on it in their specs since this facility serves
the general public (airport). The maglocks are a Locknetics UL models
with a built in sounder/ timer that automatically releases after 15
seconds of someone pushing on the door:
http://www.locknetics.com/pdf/Delayed%20Egress%20and%20Sensor%20Locks%20.pdf
see page F17 of above for the relevant code section if you're
interested.

>Relax J, I know well enough you're capable of understanding the
>circumstance(s). I was a little hot from your blanket statement about
>Maglocks. I wasn't trying to start a war over this issue, just voicing my
>opinion. If you can't control keys, you have no access control. I wish it
>were as simple as eliminating the fears of Maglocks, verses installing a
>strike to be safe (or free from liability), but a strike offers no audit
>trail for controlling access. Magnetic locks are very safe when installed
>correctly.
>P.S. I liked the "cut the power to the building and wait".....bit....

With a door strike, you are assuming that the door lever set can be
operated with a key.  Eliminate the operability with the key, and you
fix the strike issue.   Maglocks just seem to have more potential
issues.  Of course, we have many doors with in and out readers, and in
those instances, door strikes have the same (if not worse)  life
safety issues as mags since there is no free egress.