Re: Opinions

Nope none left. Last one I did was probably 20 years ago.

Foil doesn't last long when glass temps reach 130 F !
I measured glass temps on friday...my front windows were 135, sidewalk =
was 150, blacktop was even more!

"Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message =

Crash Gordon=AE wrote:
> I threw out my last roll last summer...good riddance.

Don't you have any jobs that still have foil?

I used to do all my basement windows with foil and of course on the
storefront windows. I've still go quite a few out there. If it's a
simple repair, I do it with foil, rather than making the customer pay
for all new sensors and having to do rewiring for audio etc. When the
customer has what he thinks is a simple service call and then's told
it's going to cost almost $200 to put in a glass break or two, it makes
for a not happy client. If the foil is too beat up, well, then I gotta
do what I gotta do. But if it's a simple break and otherwise in good
condition, a repair gets me outta there fast and the client is
protected and happy. Fortunately I'm from that generation that foiling
was taught to us good. Most of my jobs are holding up, some more than
20 years.

I've got one gas station in town with 6 over 6 light double hung
windows on the second floor ( really old wooden building), that I did
so many years ago, I forgot when. I don't know what possessed me, but I
did overlaps and cube corners with solder connections ( solder was the
only way to do it then/no foil blocks) I've never had to go back and
service that foil after all these years. Probably now days, no one ever
even looks as it or can or would appreciate the "artistry" that went
into it ..... but every time I drive by, my eyes are automatically
drawn to look to see if it's still there. Close to 35 years ago.