Re: Long distance carriers going with VoIP

>>> So does this mean you're finally going to get rid of your rotary phone and upgrade to touchtone?

>> My desk set, like those of my staff, is a Polycom 501 IP telephone. I use an online PBX service which runs my auto-attendant, and handles call queing, forwarding, voice mail, etc.

> So that's why it was so quiet around here for awhile... what do you do when there's a power outage?

Most office equipment is on a UPS.  When power fails (it rarely does) I
press [forward] and then [enable] to automatically forward calls to
another location.  What do you do when power fails in your office.
Umm, that is assuming you have an office.

>> When we go to Salvador for several months at a time, incoming calls ring simultaneously in the USA and Brasil.

> and both go to the autoattendant no doubt...

You misunderstand how an auto-attendant works.  All incoming calls are
answered by the auto-attendant, which is like a virtual PBX.  Callers
are presented with options for sales & tech suport or customer service.
 If the selected station is busy the caller is given the option of
accessing a different station, leaving a message or waiting.  During
the wait they get 30-second updates -- "You are caller number [#]...
approximate wait time is [n] minutes."

Once a caller selects a station the system routes the call to the
extension, regardless if that station happens to be in Florida, Brasil
or Kalamazoo.

> Do you have pager notification...

I don't wear a pager.  Perhaps you haven't heard but there are these
neat devices called cellular phones and...

>> I can hand calls off to staff members in the US as easily as if they were in the next room.

> And they sound like they're in the next room too I suppose.

In fact, they do.  Since we got rid of Vonage and got a more reliable
broadband connection (no, Frank. That does not mean tickets to a "Spice
Girls" concert) voice quality has been about the same as we get on a
standard POTS line.

> I love being bumped from one person to the next...

Well then, perhaps you should take up break dancing.

>> Have you gotten around to replacing the light on that princess phone you use?

> Light on a POTS phone? Exsolent, where can I get one of those? What a great idea! I'd be able to see the phone in a power outage.

Oh, to be young and stupid again...

>>> Uh, gee, Bob, er, thanks for the update... I'm really relieved that you're not affected, just us monkeys.

>> Quit insulting monkeys.

> Oh gee, that WAS deep. Took me awhile, how clever you are!

It's all a matter of perspective.  Most people think I'm just average.
:*)

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com